Oracle 12c is out!
June 26, 2013 Leave a comment
Oracle 12c Release 1 is released! You can download versions for Linux x86-64, Solaris Sparc64 and Solaris x86-64. No Windows yet…
UPDATE: 12c for Windows 64-bit is now also available!
Interesting is the list of new features. It’s a long list… Some things worth mentioning:
- default values for columns can refer sequences (so no more triggers needed for this!)
- VARCHAR2 increased to 32767 bytes
- partial indexes for partitioned tables
- concurrent statistics gathering (instead of serial…) – might speed up things if your processors can handle it
- new is the “multitenant” architecture with pluggable databases (PDB’s) – might be great to refresh a pre-production environment!
- move a data file online – data files can be moved online now?
- Enterprise Manager dbconsole is now called Enterprise Manager Database Express
- PGA size limit – you can now set a limit for the total amount of PGA that an instance can allocate – interesting, because we had some problems with this…
- queryable patch inventory – you can now use SQL to query the data dictionary to see the installed patches (as replacement for the OPatch command lsinventory)
- Oracle Flex ASM – the ASM instance can now run on a separate physical server than the one holding the database instances
- advanced network compression – new parameters SQLNET_COMPRESSION and SQLNET.COMPRESSION_SCHEME_LIST – interesting…
- and much more…
Now if only I could find some time to try it out! :-)